Today’s homeowners are much more hands on when it comes to home repairs. With inspiration from home repair TV shows and countless YouTube video demonstrations, many homeowners tackle small repairs themselves, saving money and getting satisfaction out of the learning experience. But when repairs are more extensive or involve complicated tools or parts, these homeowners seek out the best professionals. Here’s a look into their strategies. Some of the approaches are surprising:
- Reviews: To start, most homeowners do a Google search for contractors in the area. But with so many pages of choices and a need to narrow the field, smart homeowners look for reviews. In addition to Google Reviews, a careful homeowner will also check neutral sites like Angie’s List and the Better Business Bureau. If there’s a complaint against a contractor, it’s important to look at how the business responds to see if they made things right or took an argument with the customer.
- Neighbors and Friends: Asking around to friends and neighbors about the contractor they use and the work they had done is smart because you can see if they are happy with similar work.
- Gut Instinct: A surprising amount of homeowners rely on their gut. They value the importance of trust and the feeling they get when sizing up and interacting with a contractor during the free estimate. While instinct alone isn’t recommended, you should feel a sense of trust and care from your contractor. If you already feel red flags during the consultation, it’s best to look elsewhere.
- Professionalism: When a technician shows up to give an estimate, smart homeowners look for the smallest of details. These little things add up to show the professional approach or lack of from as they evaluate contractors. Here are some of the things we found homeowners look for:
- Timeliness: Does the contractor arrive on time?
- Vehicle: Does the vehicle look clean and have a company logo?
- Dress: Is the technician wearing a uniform or something suitable for the job
- Multiple Quotes: Smart homeowners get more than one quote when they need work done. Getting three quotes will help you be able to compare price and quality between different heating companies and once you’ve found a good contractor, you’ll be able to skip lengthy searches when it comes to smaller jobs like annual maintenance.
- Price: The lowest estimate isn’t always the best, in addition to checking out reviews, look at the price estimate carefully so you’re comparing apples to apples. Check the materials quoted and the amount of time the contractor estimated for the job.
Using these smart homeowner guidelines will help you feel confident about the person walking into your home to do heating repairs, we believe in the importance of trust and honesty, and ask you give us a call as you do your research.
Call us today for your free estimate for heating repair in Delano, MN at (763) 299-9996.